The “secret” to this recipe is our use of mushrooms in place of beans. Mushrooms have about 3 grams of carbs per cup.
Most beans contain between 30 and 40 grams of carbs per cup.
|ITEM||GRAMS OF CARBS|
|3 pounds ground beef||0|
|2 cups coarsely chopped onion (ie, 2 medium onions)||20|
|3 hot Italian sausages, cut into small (about ½ inch) pieces||6|
|3 cups sliced mushrooms. Use fresh, or 3 7 z cans||9|
|3 tablespoons chili powder (from the spice section of your supermarket). Do not use “chili mix”. It contains|
about 20 grams of carbs per pkg, and you will need 3 packages.
|½ can (14 oz) canned tomatoes (or 1 cup tomato puree)||14|
|2 7oz cans green chili peppers||20|
|Total Carbohydrates||83 grams|
|Serving Size-1/2 pound (3 soup ladels full)||XXXXXXXXX|
|Carbohydrates per ½ lb serving||14 grams|
- Put ground beef into a very large pot, and begin to heat it (covered) on high. (Do
- not drain the beef at any time).
- When pot is hot, lower heat to a “simmer” setting.
- Add in onions and all other ingredients.
- Simmer (covered) 20 minutes, or until beef is completely browned.
- Stir every 5 minutes.
If desired, transfer to a casserole dish, cover with 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, and bake at 400 until cheese
SERVING SIZE: Approximately ½ pound (3 soup ladels).