- 6 large onions, sliced
- ½ stick of butter
- Dash of salt
- 1 packet of sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons soy flour (optional)
- 2-14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 2-14.5 oz cans beef broth
- Three tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Pepper to taste
- simmer onions in butter in a covered pot for about 20 minutes.
- add a dash of salt and of sugar substitute to onions, and bring temperature up to medium.
- add flour to onions and stir well.
- add chicken broth, beef broth, and wine to onions.
- heat for about an hour.
- serve grated Swiss cheese over the top of the soup.
serves 6-8 people
- Don’t serve immediately. Leave in refrigerator 24 hours. This soup gets better with age.
- To cut down on carbs, strain soup. discard half the onions. Add the other half back in.
- If desired, float several saltine crackers (2 grams of carbs each) in each bowl and then add the grated Swiss cheese.