1. BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) CALCULATOR:
This links to the Centers For Disease Control. Gives mathematical formula & is in the public domain. The formula is
BMI = [Weight in pounds ÷ Height in inches ÷ Height in inches] x 703
2. DR. PODELL’S VIEWS ON WHAT IS HELPFUL AND WHAT IS NOT:
Read what Dr. Podell has to say about diabetics.
3. READ THE LABELS! “SURGARLESS” DOESN’T NECESSARILY MEAN LOW GLYCEMIC/LOW CARB:
Example illustrating the fact that Entemen’s (or “a national brand’s”) sugarless cakes are so high in carbs that they are totally inappropriate for diabetics and all other low carb dieters. The same goes for sugarless gum: Sugarless and “regular” both have two grams of carbs per stick.
Also “fat free” and “light” usually mean “very high carb”, because the substances that are used to replace the fat are carbohydrates.
4. ORIGINAL RECIPES AND HINTS:
Try some of our recipes For example, make a quick, no carb snack by placing a slice of Swiss cheese on a piece of sliced ham and rolling it up. If you want it warm, nuke it for 10 seconds. If you want it to be fancy, roll the ham and Swiss cheese around a stalk of asparagus or a piece of lettuce.
Here’s another one: In recipes that call for beans, use sliced mushrooms instead.
5. RECIPES FROM CUSTOMERS
Send us your favorite recipes and we will post them after testing them in our kitchen.
6. Purchase THE LOW CARB COOKBOOK CD we found on the INTERNET:
Order a low carb cookbook for $13.00 from a non-profit of some sort.
7. Join with other concerned people on the Diabetes Nutrition Forum: